Albacore Tuna Bowl Recipe
The Healthy Kids Cookoff is contest program from the City of St. Louis Department of Health which promotes a healthier lifestyle by submitting your family's recipe to the Healthy Kids Cook-Off Contest. This is one of the 3 winners from the 2016 Healthy Kids Cookoff. For more info and all recipe submissions, go to HealthyKidsCookoff.org.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled red quinoa
- 1 5-ounce can Genova Wild Caught Albacore Tuna (don't drain)
- 1 hard cooked egg, halved
- 1/4 yellow pepper, cut in strips
- 1/4 cup shredded raw red cabbage
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup drained and rinsed garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup black olives, chopped
- 1/2 hot red pepper (or jalapeno) thinly sliced
- black sesame seeds for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the quinoa into a small bowl.
- Remove the tuna from the can and place it in the middle of the bowl. There's no need to drain the tuna since it's packed in olive oil.
- Arrange the rest of the ingredients around the edges of the bowl.
- Whisk together the last four ingredients (the amounts above are for one salad for the dressing) and drizzle over everything.